Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Update

I know it's been a long time since I posted anything, but to be honest, I haven't really felt like it. Lots has happened since my last post--good and bad.

Mom is doing much better after her back surgery. She had some complications in the hospital and then more after she was released that slowed her progress down a little, but she seems to be back on track now and doing rather well. I know she's glad to be able to get out of the house now! Every day she gets better and we're very thankful for all our family and friends who have prayed along the way. Hopefully this will be the LAST back surgery she'll need. *fingers crossed*

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Kara and I went to the Kate Spade store at The Mall at Green Hills to meet our favorite fashion guru, Tim Gunn. We're both big Project Runway fans so it was a treat. He was just exactly how you would think he would be. As Kara put it, "He's just delightful." So nice, so polite and friendly. To get your picture taken with him you had to spend $100 in the store. So I bought a wallet.

The wallet went back this past Saturday. :)

I got to see two fun show at the Ryman last week--Ben Folds and Flight of the Conchords. For those who don't know either, Ben Folds is an AMAZING musician (I'd say one of the most talented alive) who I'm proud to say lives in Nashville. He has a great sense of humor and I just got mezmorized watching him play. I highly recommend any of his music, but my favorite is a sweet song he wrote for a movie called "The Luckiest." Check it out.

Flight of the Conchords is a comedy duo from New Zealand that is a little hard to explain. They have a show on HBO where they play silly songs that correspond with whatever is going on in that particular episode. At the show they played their songs and were just plain funny--I'm pretty sure all the banter between songs is completely improvised and it's all quite amusing. My face hurt from laughing so much. After the show, my friends and I went to Robert's Western World for a little while to hang out and as we were leaving 2 and a half hours later, we saw them outside the Ryman signing autographs and taking pictures. So we got some too. :)

This is Kara, Matt, Bret from FOTC and me.

This is Kara and I with Jemaine from FOTC in the middle.

It was really a nice surprise to get to meet them. They were extremely gracious and signed autographs and took pictures with everyone who wanted one. I've heard you can't say that for a lot of celebrities. In that respect, these guys are the cream of the crop.

Unfortunately, some sad things have happened as well. Longtime WSMV news anchor Dan Miller died suddenly of a heart attack last week. Growing up, my family always watched Channel 4 and I have cried several times since hearing news and after seeing all the great tributes they've played on the newscasts. I never met the man (saw him at Pei Wei in Green Hills once) but just like the sentiment across Nashville seemed to be, I felt like I lost a family member. I just pray that his family can find comfort in God and each other during the coming days and months. Nashville has lost a true icon and the news will never be the same.

Dan Miller
1941-2009


Also, on Good Friday, Murfreesboro was hit by an EF-4 tornado that killed 2 people, injured many and damaged or destroyed over 700 homes and businesses. I am so thankful that no one in my family was hurt or had their homes damaged. However, they know a lot of people who did and I will continue to pray for them. I'm so blessed to live in a community where people help each other with out expectations of anything in return. I read the other day that they had to turn away clean-up volunteers because they had too many. What a great problem to have!


Fun stuff coming up: I'm really looking forward to the Dave Matthews Band's return to Nashville on 4/25! Also, the biggest party in Nashville is almost upon us--Steeplechase! Stay tuned...

No comments: