I feel like there's all these things I'm "supposed" to like because everyone else likes them, but I really don't. American Idol in particular.
Facebook is flooded with status updates like, "I'm so glad Kris won!" Yes, I'm aware they're talking about American Idol, but I don't watch it. As a matter of fact, I can't stand it. To be honest, I'm glad he won too, but only because from what I've seen of that Adam guy, he was horrible. And annoying. But I honestly don't watch it. At all. I've maybe seen a few snippets of it here and there since the season started and I always end up changing the channel. It just doesn't hold my attention and ALL of the judges get on my last nerve.
Plus, I think I'm such a music snob that I just don't appreciate the instant success that is usually achieved by the contestants from singing other people's music. I'm a purist. I'd much rather listen to an artist who has been schlepping his/her guitar from bar to club to honky tonk trying out each and every song he/she has written in front of sometimes no more than 10 people. There's something a little more intriguing about that to me--they're not just robots with good voices.
But American Idol isn't the only thing I can put in that "Stuff I Don't Like But Everyone Else Does" category. I have absolutely ZERO desire to watch or read anything related to the following: Lord of the Rings, Twilight, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Star Wars, The Matrix...etc., etc. I HATE all that fantasy/wizardy/vampirey/spacey/dorky crap. HATE. I'm just not into the unrealistic as far as just plain not real stuff is concerned. Now, give me a good sappy romantic love story with unrealistic expectations about relationships and I'm in--as long as there aren't vampires or wizards involved.
The list goes on and on: Justin Timberlake, Kenny Chesney, "Nashvegas"...oh there's so many I couldn't even begin to list them all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Maybe it runs in the family. I don't really like that stuff either!!!
Post a Comment