Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Does volunteering count if the people you're serving get on your last nerve?

I volunteer a few times a month at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital through the Ronald McDonald House. I do it because I'm a big believer in volunteerism and I feel everyone should contribute in some way to something they're passionate about--whether it be with money or with time. Since I don't have money, and I have plenty of time, there isn't much of a choice! I picked VCH and RMH because I have a soft spot when it comes to children, especially sick ones. They don't deserve it.

My volunteer job is in a waiting area run by RMH that has snacks and a place for families with sick children in the hospital to rest. I make coffee, replenish the snacks, sometimes give directions to Target or the closest restaurant that isn't Taco Bell (it's Sportsman's Grille btw), and sometimes just provide an ear.

Tonight, it has taken everything that is in me not to snap at a couple of family members. The first one decided she was going to eat an entire cup of ice. When I say eat, I mean chomp so loudly it sounded like she was chewing up her own teeth. I cannot tell you how much I LOATHE the sound of ice chomping. It was all I could do not to snatch her cup away from her and throw it away.

Now, there is a lady right behind me sucking on a piece of hard candy--you guessed it, very loudly. She has made more sucking noises than a baby with a bottle. If I could type and put my fingers in my ears at the same time I would.

So I guess my question is this:
If I'm so annoyed by the people I'm supposed to have compassion for, is my volunteerism in all in vain? Maybe not, but my massive pet peeves are currently overshadowing my real desire to serve.




Oh man, now she's crunching it! Well, at least she's almost finished with it!

2 comments:

Kelley said...

OMG!!! I am your first comment...ever! How cool am I?

Keep posting...it's a lot of fun.

Kelley said...

Oh and, by the way, I was ROLLING laughing at your comment to Tara on Facebook. Priceless!!!