Sunday after church, one of my friends from the Sunday School class and I decided we were in the mood for Pei Wei...so we went. During lunch he asked me, "do you get motion sickness?" Thinking this was an odd, and random, question I responded with a no. Then he informed me that he had just gotten his pilot's license and asked if I wanted to go flying with him while he got some practice in. Sure, why not!?
It was absolutely the smallest plane I've ever been in. Just 2 front seats and one bench seat in the back that I had no idea how anyone could fit in--and it only had one engine. We flew up I-65, almost to Kentucky, then turned around a came back. He then landed and took off a few more times for practice. All in all it was about an hour. It was fun and I might add a beautiful day to fly. I couldn't believe I didn't freak out--but then again flying has never really bothered me. I just didn't know how I'd be in a tiny plane. I might have to go again some time...
Sunday night my friend Kara and I went out for dinner and decided, on a whim, that we'd go catch the Edwin McCain show at 3rd and Lindsley. I LOVE HIM. At first I didn't recognize him because he had cut off all his hair. All of his songs have a story behind them and tell the story themselves. A few of them have a tendency to make me a little emotional. Not only that, but the guy can SING. He's probably my favorite vocalist by far.
Of course, with every concert comes THAT guy. And we were sitting right next to THAT guy. It was a guy old enough to be our dad who was with his daughter and her boyfriend. Every song that was played the guy had to tell us he was about to cry. Then with this right hand, he'd grab his daughter's hand. (He had to use the right one because the left was a Jack and Coke holder.) Several times I could tell the daughter was mortified. Edwin McCain can hold a note, and every time he did, THAT guy had to "woo!" right in the middle of it. Every time. EVERY TIME. Then in between when Edwin would tell funny stories, THAT guy felt the need to talk to him. Edwin told a story about going to the University of South Carolina for a year and flunking out. Several years later he got a call from the alumni office asking him to speak at graduation. He said, "Y'all kicked me out!" Then he told them he'd speak and play a show, but he wanted an honorary doctorate. Ha! That got a big laugh and he said he was still waiting for the call about that. So THAT guy yelled, "They gave it to Hootie!" What a jerk. Shut up.
THAT guy aside, it was a great show and I highly recommend seeing Edwin McCain live. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment