Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Why I Voted for Mitt Romney in the Primaries

Back during the primaries I agonized over who I was going to vote for. No republican stuck out to me as the better candidate. So I started doing some research and discovered that Mitt Romney used to run a private equity investment firm. He invested in or bought several troubled companies and practically brought them back from the grave. Ever heard of Staples? Brookstone? Domino's Pizza? Yep. He served as their defibrillator.

With the economy the way it was (and still is), I figured he was the best guy for the job. Yes, he's a mormon. I had to get past that and ultimately realize what good he could do for this country and its obvious top priority. So I cast my vote.

Then today I read this op-ed article he wrote in the New York Times, and had a major "I told you so!" moment. Ever since I heard about the "Big Three" auto makers wanting bailout money, I thought, "Are we just going to bail out everyone?" I get that jobs would be lost. I get that. But there comes a point when enough is enough and people should be held accountable--in this case, these major auto executives who have obviously created an incredibly poor business model.

In the article Romney says, "don’t ask Washington to give shareholders and bondholders a free pass — they bet on management and they lost." Amen to that brother.

This happens to me all the time where I think this stuff but don't have the proper experience to back it up and put it into words. Mitt Romney was the guy who argued my case for me this time...and I think he would've been a great choice for president in this current financial climate. Hopefully this new administration will take note and listen to him.

No comments: