Monday, November 3, 2008

Bye Bye Fulmer


The Verve said, "It's a bittersweet symphony, this life..."

I can't think of a better way to express it--Phil Fulmer will not be back to coach the 2009 Tennessee Volunteers.

I've been saying it for about 3 years now, but with a 3-4 season (Is that even the record? I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it's bad.) everyone else has been jumping on my bandwagon. We've been playing the exact same football for 10 years, and every other team is onto it. Fulmer has adamently refused to roll with the times--or he just doesn't know how to, I'm not sure which. It's time to shake things up on a field a bit.

Several people are saying they feel sorry for him. Do I? Not in the slightest. Yes, it's bittersweet. I might get a little teary if a music montage of some of Fulmer's greatest moments plays during a game, but it's only pure nostalgia. Sympathy is not an emotion I have about this. I mean, the guy is walking away with 150 wins over 16 years, several SEC titles and a national championship. Most college football coaches would kill to have that kind of career--not to mention the millions he'll get to buy out his contract. He's stepping down voluntarily--it's graceful and by no means shameful. It's just time. So no, I do not feel sorry for him.

So goodbye Phil. Thanks for the memories.


Update: Okay I watched the press conference. I do feel a little bad for him now and I got a little choked up. But it's still time to go.


2 comments:

J Bussell said...

I don't think he stepped down voluntarily. Many media reports have said that, but in his press conference he said he would "accept the University's decision."

Jennifer said...

Yeah, I know. I don't know that he would've gone otherwise. I'm sure some booster threatened to yank their money. It's time but it's definitely sad. I could hardly watch.